Largest ever DIMDEX successfully concludes with eight new deals announced on final day
DOHA, 1 April 2016: The largest edition of the Doha International Maritime Defence Exhibition and Conference (DIMDEX 2016) successfully came to a close at the Qatar National Convention Centre on Thursday with with eight new deals announced on the final day, bringing the total value of deals signed at DIMDEX 2016 to QAR 32.58 billion.
On Tuesday, a QAR 27.75 billion contract signing ceremony took place between Qatar and Rafale International (Dassault Aviation) for 24 Rafale fighter jets.
On Wednesday, the total value of ten Memorandums of Understanding (MoUs) signed was QAR 3.54 billion.
On the final day of DIMDEX 2016, Qatar penned eight new MoUs totalling QAR 1.29 billion with the following:
1. A €42 million MoU between the Qatar Emiri Naval Forces and Qatari company Nakilat Damen Shipyards Qatar (NDSQ) for diving support boats
2. A €41 million MoU between the Qatari Emiri Naval Forces and Turkish company Yonca Onuc (J.V.) for the purchase of fast interceptor vessels
3. A QAR 68 million MoU between the Qatari Emiri Naval Forces and European company Zodiac for the purchase of armed fast attack vessels
4. A QAR 200 million MoU between the Qatar Armed Forces and French company Airbus for a long distance satellite ground imaging station
5. A QAR 34.6 million MoU between the Qatar Armed Forces and South Korean company AK& Partners, Inc. for surveillance vehicles
6. A QAR 460.5 million MoU between the Qatar Armed Forces and US company Aurora for drone sensor integration
7. A QAR 126.8 million MoU between the Qatar Armed Forces and the US company L-3 for MX20D and M25 drone cameras
8. A QAR 54.7 million MoU between the Qatar Armed Forces and the US company Textron Systems for Aerosonde MK 4.7 drones
Over the course of three days, DIMDEX confirmed its position as the leading specialised maritime naval defence and security exhibition in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region with its largest and most comprehensive edition to date.
Surpassing the success of previous years, DIMDEX 2016 attracted more exhibitors and higher levels of participation by welcoming 9,000 visitors and official VIP delegations from over 60 participating countries.
Against the backdrop of a buoyant defence market, international and local exhibitors took full advantage of the opportunity to present the latest in maritime defence technology to buyers, build business connections, discuss the latest trends in the industry and secure deals.
A short distance away from the exhibition, a total of 8 warships docked at Doha Commercial Port and were open to VIPs, trade professionals and visitors as part of DIMDEX 2016’s organised programme. A sports tournament for the warship crews contested in the spirit of friendly competition also concluded on Thursday.
Brig. Dr. (Eng) Thani A. Al-Kuwari, Chairman of DIMDEX said:
“As host and organiser, the Qatar Armed Forces are proud of DIMDEX 2016’s contribution towards the development and prosperity of the State of Qatar and its reputation as a hub for events and conferences of global significance in line with the vision of our patron His Highness, The Emir, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani. Our success this year would not have been achieved without the trust our visitors, exhibitors and VIP delegations placed in the organisers, and their belief in the importance of DIMDEX 2016.”
He added: “Due to the success of DIMDEX 2016 and positive feedback received, the Qatar Armed Forces are delighted to announce that DIMDEX will return in 2018 from March 12 to 14. Preparations for DIMDEX 2018 are already underway and we will be working tirelessly to continue DIMDEX’s upwards growth trajectory.”
He continued: “I would like to take this opportunity to thank our sponsors and show our appreciation for their contribution towards making DIMDEX 2016 the largest and most successful edition to date, namely: QNB Group as Main Sponsor; Fincantieri as Diamond Sponsor; MBDA as Gold Sponsor, Thales and DCNS as Silver Sponsors; and Ahli Bank and Avantgarde Jewels as Supporting Sponsors.”
About DIMDEX 2016
DIMDEX is a biennial event held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar. Hosted and organised by the Qatar Armed Forces, DIMDEX 2016 will take place in Doha from 29 to 31 March 2016.
The three-day event comprises an exhibition, the international strategic Middle East Naval Commanders Conference (MENC) featuring senior naval commanders, the visit of warships to Doha Commercial Port and elite VIP delegation visits.
DIMDEX is one of the largest international events focusing on naval defence and maritime security. With more than 9,000 visitors from over 60 countries attending, DIMDEX 2016 is the seminal event of the year for networking with industry professionals and senior defence officials from the MENA region and around the world.